My name is Adam Mayblum. I am alive today. I am committing this to "paper"
so I never forget. SO WE NEVER FORGET. I am sure that this is one of thousands
of stories that will emerge over the next several days and weeks.

I arrived as usual a little before 8am. My office was on the 87th floor of
1 World Trade Center, AKA: Tower 1, AKA: the North Tower. Most of my associates
were in by 8:30m. We were standing around, joking around, eating breakfast,
checking e-mails, and getting set for the day when the first plane hit just a few
stories above us. I must stress that we did not know that it was a plane.
The building lurched violently and shook as if it were an earthquake. People screamed.
I watched out my window as the building seemed to move 10 to 20 feet in each direction.
It rumbled and shook long enough for me to get my wits about myself and grab a co-worker
and seek shelter under a doorway. Light fixtures and parts of the ceiling collapsed.
The kitchen was destroyed. We were certain that it was a bomb. We looked out the windows.
Reams of paper were flying everywhere, like a ticker tape parade. I looked down at the street.
I could see people in Battery Park City looking up. Smoke started billowing in through the holes
in the ceiling. I believe that there were 13 of us. We did not panic. I can only assume that we
thought that the worst was over.

The building was standing and we were shaken but alive. We checked the halls. The smoke was
thick and white and did not smell like I imagined smoke should smell. Not like your BBQ or your
fireplace or even a bonfire. The phones were working. My wife had taken our 9 month old for his
check up. I called my nanny at home and told her to page my wife, tell her that a bomb went off,
I was ok, and on my way out. I grabbed my laptop. Took off my tee shirt and ripped it into 3 pieces.
Soaked it in water. Gave 2 pieces to my friends. Tied my piece around my face to act as an air filter.
And we all started moving to the staircase. One of my dearest friends said that he was staying
until the police or firemen came to get him. In the halls there were tiny fires and sparks. The ceiling
had collapsed in the men's bathroom. It was gone along with anyone who may have been in there.
We did not go in to look. We missed the staircase on the first run and had to double back. Once
in the staircase we picked up fire extinguishers just incase. On the 85th floor a brave associate
of mine and I headed back up to our office to drag out my partner who stayed behind. There was no air,
just white smoke. We made the rounds through the office calling his name. No response. He must
have succumbed to the smoke. We left defeated in our efforts and made our way back to the stairwell.
We proceeded to the 78th floor where we had to change over to a different stairwell. 78 is the main
junction to switch to the upper floors. I expected to see more people. There were some 50 to 60
more. Not enough. Wires and fires all over the place. Smoke too. A brave man was fighting a fire
with the emergency hose. I stopped with to friends to make sure that everyone from our office
was accounted for. We ushered them and confused people into the stairwell. In retrospect, I recall
seeing Harry, my head trader, doing the same several yards behind me. I am only 35. I have known
him for over 14 years. I headed into the stairwell with 2 friends.

We were moving down very orderly in Stair Case A. very slowly. No panic. At least not overt panic.
My legs could not stop shaking. My heart was pounding. Some nervous jokes and laughter. I made a
crack about ruining a brand new pair of Merrells. Even still, they were right, my feet felt great.
We all laughed. We checked our cell phones. Surprisingly, there was a very good signal, but
the Sprint network was jammed. I heard that the Blackberry 2 way e-mail devices worked perfectly.
On the phones, 1 out of 20 dial attempts got through. I knew I could not reach my wife so I called my
parents. I told them what happened and that we were all okay and on the way down. Soon, my sister
in law reached me. I told her we were fine and moving down. I believe that was about the 65th floor.
We were bored and nervous. I called my friend Angel in San Francisco. I knew he would be watching.
He was amazed I was on the phone. He told me to get out that there was another plane on its way.
I did not know what he was talking about. By now the second plane had struck Tower 2. We were so
deep into the middle of our building that we did not hear or feel anything. We had no idea what was
really going on. We kept making way for wounded to go down ahead of us. Not many of them, just a few.
No one seemed seriously wounded. Just some cuts and scrapes. Everyone cooperated. Everyone was
a hero yesterday. No questions asked. I had co-workers in another office on the 77th floor. I tried dozens
of times to get them on their cell phones or office lines. It was futile. Later I found that they were alive.
One of the many miracles on a day of tragedy.

On the 53rd floor we came across a very heavyset man sitting on the stairs.  I asked if he needed help or
was he just resting. He needed help. I knew I would have trouble carrying him because I have a very bad
back. But my friend and I offered anyway. We told him he could lean on us. He hesitated, I don't know why.
I said do you want to come or do you want us to send help for you. He chose for help. I told him he was on
the 53rd floor in Stairwell A and that's what I would tell the rescue workers. He said okay and we left.

On the 44th floor my phone rang again. It was my parents. They were hysterical. I said relax, I'm fine.
My father said get out, there is third plane coming. I still did not understand. I was kind of angry. What did my
parents think? Like I needed some other reason to get going? I couldn't move the thousand people in front of
me any faster. I know they love me, but no one inside understood what the situation really was. My parents did.
Starting around this floor the firemen, policemen, WTC K-9 units without the dogs, anyone with a badge, started
coming up as we were heading down. I stopped a lot of them and told them about the man on 53 and my friend on

I later felt terrible about this. They headed up to find those people and met death instead.   On the 33rd floor
I spoke with a man who somehow new most of the details.  He said 2 small planes hit the building. Now we all
started talking about which terrorist group it was. Was it an internal organization or an external one?  The
overwhelming but uninformed opinion was Islamic Fanatics. Regardless, we now knew that it was not a bomb
and there were potentially more planes coming. We understood.

On the 3r floor the lights went out and we heard & felt this rumbling coming towards us from above. I thought
the staircase was collapsing upon itself.  It was 10am now and that was Tower 2 collapsing next door.
We did not know that. Someone had a flashlight. We passed it forward and left the stairwell and headed down
a dark and cramped corridor to an exit. We could not see at all. I recommended that everyone place a hand
on the shoulder of the person in front of them and call out if they hit an obstacle so others would know to avoid it.
They did. It worked perfectly. We reached another stairwell and saw a female officer emerge soaking wet and
covered in soot. She said we could not go that way it was blocked. Go up to 4 and use the other exit.

Just as we started up she said it was ok to go down instead. There was water everywhere. I called out for hands
on shoulders again and she said that was a great idea. She stayed behind instructing people to do that.
I do not know what happened to her.

We emerged into an enormous room. It was light but filled with smoke. I commented to a friend that it must be
under construction. Then we realized where we were. It was the second floor. The one that overlooks the lobby.
We were ushered out into the courtyard, the one where the fountain used to be. My first thought was of a TV
movie I saw once about nuclear winter and fallout. I could not understand where all of the debris came from.
There was at least five inches of this gray pasty dusty drywall soot on the ground as well as a thickness of it
in the air. Twisted steel and wires. I heard there were bodies and body parts as well, but I did not look.
It was bad enough. We hid under the remaining overhangs and moved out to the street. We were told to
keep walking towards Houston Street. The odd thing is that there were very few rescue workers around.
Less than five. They all must have been trapped under the debris when Tower 2 fell. We did not know that
and could not understand where all of that debris came from. It was just my friend Kern and I now. We were
hugging but sad. We felt certain that most of our friends ahead of us died and we knew no one behind us.

We came upon a post office several blocks away. We stopped and looked up.  Our building, exactly where
our office is (was), was engulfed in flame and smoke. A postal worker said that Tower 2 had fallen down.
I looked again and sure enough it was gone. My heart was racing. We kept trying to call our families.
I could not get in touch with my wife. Finally I got through to my parents. Relieved is not the word to
explain their feelings. They got through to my wife, thank God, and let her know I was alive. We sat down.
A girl on a bike offered us some water. Just as she took the cap off her bottle we heard a rumble.
We looked up and our building, Tower 1 collapsed. I did not note the time but I am told it was 10:30am.
We had been out less than 15 minutes.

We were mourning our lost friends, particularly the one who stayed in the office as we were now sure
that he had perished. We started walking towards Union Square. I was going to Beth Israel Medical Center
to be looked at. We stopped to hear the President speaking on the radio. My phone rang. It was my wife.
I think I fell to my knees crying when I heard her voice. Then she told me the most incredible thing.
My partner who had stayed behind called her. He was alive and well. I guess we just lost him in the
commotion. We started jumping and hugging and shouting. I told my wife that my brother had arranged
for a hotel in midtown. He can be very resourceful in that way. I told her I would call her from there.
My brother and I managed to get a gypsy cab to take us home to Westchester instead. I cried on my son
and held my wife until I fell asleep.

As it turns out my partner, the one who I thought had stayed behind was behind us with Harry Ramos,
our head trader. This is now second hand information. They came upon Victor, the heavyset man on the 53rd
floor.  They helped him. He could barely move. My partner bravely/stupidly tested the elevator on the 52nd floor.
He rode it down to the sky lobby on 44. The doors opened, it was fine. He rode it back up and got Harry and Victor.
I don't yet know if anyone else joined them. Once on 44 they made their way back into the stairwell. Someplace
around the 39th to 36th floors they felt the same rumble I felt on the 3rd floor. It was 10am and Tower 2 was coming
down. They had about 30 minutes to get out. Victor said he could no longer move. They offered to have him lean on
them. He said he couldn't do it. My partner hollered at him to sit on his butt and schooch down the steps. He said
he was not capable of doing it. Harry told my partner to go ahead of them. Harry had once had a heart attack
and was worried about this man's heart. It was his nature to be this way. He was/is one of the kindest people
I know. He would not leave a man behind. My partner went ahead and made  it out. He said he was out maybe
10 minutes before the building came down. 

This means that Harry had maybe 25 minutes to move Victor 36 floors. I guess  they moved 1 floor every
1.5 minutes. Just a guess. This means Harry was around the 20th floor when the building collapsed.
As of now, 12 of 13 people are accounted for. As of 6pm yesterday his wife had not heard from him. I fear
that Harry is lost.  However, a short while ago I heard that he may be alive. Apparently there is a web site
with survivor names on it and his name appears there. Unfortunately, Ramos is not an uncommon name
in New York. Pray for him and all those like him.

With regards to the firemen heading upstairs, I realize that they were going up anyway.  But, it hurts to
know that I may have made them move quicker to find my friend. Rationally,  I know this is not true
and that I am not the responsible one. The responsible ones are in hiding somewhere on this planet
and damn them for making me feel like this. But they should know that they failed in terrorizing us.
We were calm. Those men and women that went up were heroes in the face of it all. They must have
known what was going on and they did their jobs. Ordinary people were heroes too. Today the images
that people around the world equate with power and democracy are gone but "America" is not an image,
it is a concept. That concept is only strengthened by our pulling together as a team. If you want to kill us,
leave us alone because we will do it by ourselves. If you want to make us stronger, attack and we unite.
This is the ultimate failure of terrorism against The United States and the ultimate price we pay to be free,
to decide where we want to work, what we want to eat, and when & where we want to go on vacation.
The very moment the first plane was hijacked, democracy won.

by Adam Mayblum